Tuesday 3 May 2011

First road bike

So!
As mentioned in last post being new on Monday last week I picked up my first ever road bike and have to say fell in love straight away.
I looked at so many options from steel frames to titanium frames, giants, treks , kenesis , cube , felt.
This list would go on forever, it was difficult deciding as my ultimate aim was something I could train and race on with the ultimate goal of racing competitively,  I asked peoples opinions on each bike and of course got a different answer every time.

I came ever so close to buying a trek 1.5 ( or similar) but in the end decided that if I was going to splash out on a road bike I wanted something that wowed me not just something that was borderline, I thought to myself that if I got something I found did the job but amazingly dull I would probably take less of a liking to the sport, maybe this is false but I figured it was my bike my money and I didn't want to mess around.

In the end I had it narrowed down to a wilier izoard xp or a trek 1.5, two price ranges but also two very different bikes as I found out.
I tested the Trek and found it to be a good ride overall, pretty nippy but something didn't feel right about the geometry for myself, I asked to see the wilier while still not knowing what it was or how it looked all I had was a price tag.
I was shown around to the wilier and at first thought I was taken to the wrong bike I double checked the price tag and thought to myself " this looks like it should be twice the price", it looked the real buisness I mean I imagined what a good looking road bike was and this was it for me.

I test rode it and it didn't take long to fall in love, it was quick, light, responsive and well fast before this I was used to my off road Trek MTB which was light and nippy but I found myself hitting speeds that terrified me going down hill as I looked at the V-brakes praying they worked better than they looked.

On returning to the bike shop I explained that the geometry felt a lot better, I am a tall guy coming in at around 6 "2 but most of which is torso, for my height I don't seem to have particularly long legs, this I was advised was benefit of the Italian bikes that they were a different fit to say the Giants and such.
I was sold put my deposit down and counted down the days until I was able to collect it.

So it has been about a week since I picked it up and it still hasn't disappointed, I have been using a free app on my phone to track my miles over this week and speeds ( when it doesn't mess up), it uploads the data to a website at www.endomondo.com    and people can see my profile and my rides, it's not bad for a free app tho does have issues sometimes such as once clocking me doing 734MPH which while my bike is light and fast I did not achieve sadly.

You can see my profile here http://www.endomondo.com/profile/719711   however any rides done before 25/04/2011 are not part of my new cycling and are just me goofing around on my MTB.
I don't know if the rides i'm doing are good but at the moment i'm more worried about getting miles under my belt than having super fast speedy times.

S11

No comments:

Post a Comment